First month with the new 15-inch Macbook Pro (2016)
February 26, 2017
It’s been almost a month since I bought my new Macbook Pro. So far, I’m liking it, though I do have few small issues with it.
Specs: 2.9 GHz i7 processor, 16GB RAM, 4GB video card, 1TB hard drive.
- TouchId is fast and secure. Works like magic.
- Display is noticeably brighter and has richer color spectrum.
- Keyboard is loud but I love the sound. Much more clicky and feels like it has better feedback.
- Trackpad comes in handy when I do a lot of gestures across the screen like taking screenshots or dragging paths in Sketch.
- In addition, I think Space Gray looks great and I love that the machine is lighter too.
- Performance doesn’t appear significantly better in comparison with the old Macbook Pro. While some things such as boot time are faster, the machine doesn’t feel any faster than my previous Macbook that has almost the same specs.
- Gets hot. I’m a procrastinator and at any given time I have anywhere from 40-∞ tabs open depending on how many projects I work on simultaneously. My old Macbook would rarely get hot to the point where I’d feel it with my hands, but the new Macbook gets there faster. Right now I have around 50 tabs open and it’s already warm. I haven’t even opened Sketch yet.
- Touch bar takes time to get used to. Some controls will seem unintuitive at first but you’ll be alright after a while. Eventually it enables you to do more than a regular keyboard, but the price you pay is the time it takes to get used to the new features.
That being said, I don’t use ports much so I didn’t really feel any discomfort in that area.All I need is an SD card to USB–C and a USB 3 to USB–C dongles which are pretty easy to get. Will update this post if I notice anything weird.
This Macbook definitely feels like an improvement, but it’s not pushing the boundaries like it used to.